Tuesday, January 05, 2010

A New Year Means to Remember an Old Command

It's the start of 2010. It seems like just yesterday that we were celebrating the change of the century and people were wondering what Y2K would bring. Now we've gone through ten years of the 21st century already!
As I think about what and where I should put my focus for this new year, an old commandment comes to mind. "Love God with all your heart, with all your mind, with all your strength," Jesus said, "and the second is like unto it, You shall love your neighbor as yourself."
It's good just to stop and assess, have I been loving God with all my heart? Is there space to expand His love within me? Are their things that I've allowed to grow up in my heart and clutter His space?
What about the way I treat my fellow man? How can I really love God whom I can't see, if I don't love my neighbor whom I can see? Some people may be looking for a "new" word for the new year. For me, I'm refreshing myself on the old word.
Lord, check my heart. Help me to love you with all I am. Help me to love my neighbor. I give myself afresh to You this 2010. I love You, Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment