Thursday, October 16, 2008

In a Pit with a Lion on a Snowy Day

I just finished two days of classes with Mark Batterson, the author of In a Pit with a Lion on a Snowy Day. And I just finished reading the book. How much fun was that! Mark challenges his readers to become lion chasers. The premise is taken from a passage of Scripture that tells of Benaiah, one of the soldiers of King David. It says of him that he slew a lion in a pit on a snowy day.
I've loved that passage for years for its poetic ring. Mark caused me to stop and really think about the event and then stirred me to desire to have that kind of aggressive passion for God's purposes.
The idea of the book is that if we want to reach our God-given potential and purpose, we cannot be afraid of the lions in our life. Often the lions we face are disguised blessings waiting to be grasped. When it seems we are in the wrong place at the wrong time, God has hidden his glory in that difficult circumstance.
Mark explains that long-shot odds are markers God wants to cash in for us. Then Mark challenges us to recognize that boldness to chase a lion means we will have to unlearn our fear. He talks about learning to reframe our situations, or see them from a heavenly perspective.
I have really enjoyed these last couple of days listening to Mark in the daytime and then reading his book in the evening. (It's a quick read...)
He mentions that is we're going to get "God ideas" we have to live in prayer mode. This stirred me to dessire God's creative thoughts to begin to rattle around in my brain.
Anyway, if you get a chance, pick the book up. Let me know what you think of it.
God Bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment