Friday, October 24, 2008

You Become What You Look At

2 Corinthians 3:18 says that as we behold the glory of the Lord, we actually are being transformed into His image. Advertisers realize that if they can get people to "behold" a famous person with their brand in their hand, the viewers will become transformed and begin to bear that same brand or image.
I began to think about that today as I was mulling over some political news I had been reading. I was pacing in my mind about perceived injustices and inconsistencies that were perpetrated recently. I realized that this was consuming my thinking. My attitude was beginning to sour. I realized that I was violating a basic principle of God's Word, I was becoming agitated by ruminating on these things. "Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything , by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the Peace of God [emphasis mine], which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
I was allowing these things to cause me to lose my peace; as I was beholding those things, I was being transformed into an ungodly image. I fear that happens to too many of us in the faith. We watch or listen to political news and lose our peace. Obviously, we are not to be ignorant of what's going on, but the question I ask myself, "How much time do I give mental energy to these things compared to meditating on the things of God?"
God promises spiritual prosperity when we "meditate day and night" on His Word. I wonder if we spend so much time in the political arena that it becomes easy to resort to name-calling and people-bashing because of their their political views. Jesus warned us to stay out of that trap, "Give to Caesar what is Caesar's and to God what is God's." If we are Kingdom oriented we cannot allow ourselves to be pulled down into the mud of this political arena.
So, while I do intend to stay informed and I do hold my own political viewpoints, I will try to rise above the morass of politics and think on those things that are above. "Finally brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable,- if anything is excellent or praiseworthy-think about such things." Philippians 4:8

No comments:

Post a Comment